Friday 19 April 2013

Guest Blog: Treadmill Desks


I'm Neil's wife and I'm a writer. I spend hours and hours sitting down. I haven't exercised properly for ages. I know I should get up earlier; I should take a break in the middle of the day and go for a walk; I should go out running once the kids are in bed - I should do lots of things, but I don't.

I know exercise has been shown to help low back pain and that walking is good for heart health. I've read things like this Telegraph article which discusses the benefits of walking for an hour a day for elderly people and the American Heart Association study which has found walking to be as effective as running (if one expends the same amount of energy). I've looked at research that shows walking 10,000 steps a day will significantly improve health, build stamina, burn calories and benefit the heart, but I still don't exercise.

Neil recently told me about treadmill desks (can you see where this is going?). He said he'd be interested in discovering more about them, but he needed to find someone who sits at a desk all day and doesn't do any exercise at all. He didn't have to look far. Guess who's trialing the treadmill desk? 

We went to Gym World in Oldham this week and had a look at a desk. Neil was impressed (I was too - it turns out I can type AND walk at the same time) and we're taking delivery of a one next week. I will be blogging about the desk here and over at my own blog

I'm off now, until next time, when I will be righteously exercising while typing, rather than sitting on the sofa, trying not to drop the hundreds and thousands from my Nobbly Bobbly between the laptop keys.

Carys

No comments:

Post a Comment